Thursday, January 6, 2011

Staying Young

Almost two years ago our school community had one of the most special and heartwarming events occur.  One of our “lost” alumni was found.  The story of 85 year old Bill Young is inspirational and touching.  

The story received local and national media attention here in Canada.  I have attached one  of the national news report which sums up the story nicely.

I have read some articles recently about how we, as principals, should harness the power of the media to help promote our school.  Indeed  The story of Bill Young reminded me that, if used appropriately, the media can be an important tool to spread your story and inspire an entire community of learners.

But the story of Bill Young hit a deeper nerve with people.  Why was the story Bill Young so popular and important for our community and, indeed for the country?  Here is what I think:

  • Bill Young taught us that family is the most important thing in life.
  • Bill Young taught us that being in a community is life-giving and provides an enduring support network.
  • Bill Young brought the history of our school to life and reminded all of us of its importance in the greater community.
  • Bill Young reminded us that an education involves more than "school"
And finally:
  • Bill Young reminded us that it’s never too late to follow your dreams
Since this story ran, I have been asked how I came up with idea to honor Bill Young.  To be honest, all I can say is that it felt like the right thing to do. 

I am thankful that I trusted my instincts!  

No comments:

Post a Comment