Thursday, December 8, 2011

Calibrating My Compass

I find the great thing in this world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. To reach the port of heaven, we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it – but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie anchor.
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Time for me to "calibrate my compass". What direction am I moving? Hopefully I am not "drifting" or rigidly "anchored" in the past.

In my thinking about creating a "shared vision",  it is important for me to reflect and seek alignment with my personal vision with that of the "organisation's".

As a reflective practitioner I have been discerning my own professional vision statement as I move forward as a Catholic school principal.  I like to think of this process as "calibrating my professional compass points":
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
My actions speak louder than my words.
I strive to be a person of the Beatitudes,  living with integrity between word and action.
I find ways to nourish and inform my soul.
Faith and reason coexist. Love, compassion, forgiveness and empathy always trump intolerance and zealotry  
 Made in God's image, each individual student is unique, talented and "a gift".
Students are given unique opportunities to develop spiritually, academically, physically, emotionally and creatively.
Students continue to be a source of inspiration and motivation
I am figuring things out.  I am a learner. I am dedicated to learning about emerging and proven teaching practices (pedagogy) that honours the "uniqueness and giftedness" of each child.
Technology is more than just a gimmick or fad and enhances pedagogy.
Our students need to be empowered and motivated to make a positive difference in our world.
Our students need to be readers, writers, creators, innovators, critical thinkers, curators of information, and collaborators.
I trust the students, staff and parents I work with. I model respectful collaboration and collegiality - within my school building and beyond.
Parents are my partners. I am humbly grateful to them for entrusting their children to my care.
Living and learning in community is "life giving".  Relationships matter.  I cherish "An Ethos of Us" in schools
I trust my instincts as a leader. I learn from my mistakes. I embrace vulnerability.
I don't take myself too seriously. I seek joy, laughter and humour.  After all, "it's only high school
I seek comfort in this prayer:
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference. 
I would really like to see what others are thinking by way of their own professional  vision statements.  Thoughts and comments are always welcome.  Perhaps we can use the #mycompass hashtag to share tweets and thoughts.

Still figuring it out....

No comments:

Post a Comment